Monday, September 29, 2014

Not Reflecting on Bread

Letter Project Reflection

1. Describe your process when creating your letter project. How was the process helpful or not so helpful to you? 
The drafting process was a hindrance in creating the letter. I began with the letter F and felt restricted believing I could only stick to that letter since I had created many small sketches of possible designs for the letter (all of which I didn't really like or it just didn't make sense). However the drafting process did give me inspiration to do the towers. When I was drawing the two drafts for my F's, one was a cow and the other was a building. Liking the building idea but not so much the letter I changed my letter to the letter H as it represented a more realistic shape of a building rather than a F would.


2. How did you arrive with your concept/idea for your letter? How did you represent this concept visually in your design? (Give 2 examples) 
The inspiration came from being surrounded by buildings everywhere. Visually at times buildings represent an lower case L: l. I thought doing a straight building would be too simple and looked around for more creative ideas. Many buildings are attached by a bridge of sorts connecting one side to the other. Looking closely enough you can make out the letter H in it and that is where the inspiration came from. The concept represented literally is a building. You have the simple structure and windows that a building encompasses. In addition, to add more flare the top is designed in a different matter to give more shape while still possessing the qualities of a building.

3. What was the most challenging aspect of this project for you? Why?
The most challenging aspect of the project was measuring everything precisely. Buildings are usually uniformed and even with the same size windows and distances. It was hard to achieve such precision and as seen in the final there are some unevenness to it. The measuring was quite a long procedure and rather tedious but created a more orderly form.

4. Are you satisfied with your project?   Explain your answer.
Overall I am pleased with the outcome though disappoint with some parts. I like the orderly structure and it is quite easy to make out the letter. I am rather disappointed at some parts where the measurements were off. Some windows are drastically smaller than others however most seem about the same size. In a way the design looks a bit too simple and I wish I added a bit more creativity to it.

5. If you can change anything about your design, what would you change or do differently?
As stated above I would like to add more creativity to the design. Maybe do a 3D affect or add different textures and colors. I avoided doing 3D due to my lack of experience on how to make it work and the time constraint however given more time and a short tutorial, it would be pretty cool to see how the end result would look like with 3D. I had chosen to stay with the simple black and white colors however maybe I could draw in bricks and color it red to give it more color.



            Draft:                                                                                   Final:                                   
                      

7 comments:

  1. To respond to your fourth question, I don't think you should be disappointed by the simplicity of your design. I think it is pretty unique since it has a sense of abstractness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI CINDY. Anyways, I think your work looks pretty interesting despite the simple design. Since I saw your work process, I'm amazed that you were able to start over and finish so quickly. Even though it was completed within three days (I think), you put a lot of time in making sure your buildings were symmetrical :p. Good job :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what Jess said. I love the simplicity in your piece and the fact that you didn't have to spend so much time to a complicated design but execute your concept in one of the simplest ways possible is very smart! In addition, instead of b&w, what kind of colors do you think you can use to show the same concept? Or to portray a different emotion of some sort in your design?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg for the prove you're not a robot thing, the one i got was 1234

      Delete
  4. This is one of the cleanest designs! Seriously. Great line work and spacing on windows as well. Good contrast as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing i was thinking is that you should add in shadow ;) I think it will look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the cleanness of your letter. It is simple and reminds me of a computer. Also, I commend you for having all the lines straight and the black didn't bleed into the white.

    ReplyDelete